Anxiety Log - William's

This sub-forum contains member Recovery Journals.
DaveA

Anxiety Log - William's

Post by DaveA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 am

Many thanks to William for providing this.

Talking or writing about your triggers, avoidance strategies and safety behaviors will help you understand yourself better, as you explain yourself to someone else.
AnxietyLog.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can't successfully tease a person about something they don't feel embarrassed about.
I can pee...because it's okay if I can't.
The problem is embarrassment, paruresis is rooted in your embarrassment.

DaveA

Re: Anxiety Log - William's

Post by DaveA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:04 am

List significant triggers for your symptoms, as well as behavioral strategies you use to cope with distressing anxiety symptoms in the short-term.

I. TRIGGERS (internal, external, situational, environmental)

II. AVOIDANCE - Situations that you avoid (or escape from) because they make you anxious.

III. SAFETY BEHAVIORS - Subtle strategies that serve to reduce anxiety in triggering situations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"short-term" is a key word.
I take it to mean "what do you do when your fears are right in your face?"

"SHORT-TERM" EXAMPLE:
You enter your work restroom, a 2+2, both stalls are occupied and one of the two urinals is occupied. What do you do, how do you cope with that situation?

"LONG-TERM" EXAMPLE:
You quit the job because the restroom results in you having a bursting bladder for much of the day. You hope your next job has a more paruretic friendly restroom situation.

William,
Can you help me understand the "triggers" section?
What's the definition of each type of trigger?

:arrow: Internal
:arrow: External
:arrow: Situational
:arrow: Environmental

I used to be the king of avoidance.

My main escape strategy was to drive my own car everywhere, without passengers. Nobody depended on me for a ride home, I could leave if/when I became desperate for a place to empty my bladder.

"Subtle" strategies to reduce anxiety?
I could use some help understanding that question also.

Does dehydration prior to an event (so I'd be less likely to need a restroom) count as a subtle strategy?

I'd remind myself that I only had to survive 2 more hours (for example) till I'd be home and able to empty out. That helped a little. That's probably more what the question wants to know.

Or I'd remind myself that I could just disappear, jump in my car and leave if I was desperate.

A favorite strategy of mine was to arrive everywhere early and use the almost guaranteed to be empty restroom, by sitting in a stall.
You can't successfully tease a person about something they don't feel embarrassed about.

william

Post by william » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:31 am

Dave..the biggest difference is that my log is general. including paruresis.

I am supposed to look for similar anxiety spikes under other conditions...like at work...home..etc..

the anxiety is the same...whether at a urinal or talking to the manager about a bad performance review...

he is looking for other triggers outside of the urinal...
he believes...though he is not sure yet that I can get
get a cognitive recovery a lot easier if my anxiety response to it...generally speaking is also de conditioned..

as he mentioned shy bladder is rare among people with general low levels of anxiety or response to it...

there are many questions I still have and I will mention all your questions next time I meet him.
peeing is easy
performing to expectations is hard

william

Post by william » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:32 am

Dave..I will try to recollect some of those terms later...
peeing is easy

william

Post by william » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:43 am

Yes the short term would be how you react to the anxiety mediately.
peeing is easy

william

Post by william » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:05 am

I can only give you my understanding and it may not be correct but I think it mean that when a trigger is internal the trigger comes from yourself and not from environment or the situation...like a flashback when your in a urinal by yourself.
no external stimuli. but you get anxious from the memory.

External could be anything that resembles the anxiety provoking thoughts like a picture of a urinal.

Situational is like when you are in the restroom and there are people around that causes anxiety I think the situation refers to a flow if activities...what is happening...it is not an object but the events and activities going on around you. so it may be someone observing you locked up and asking questions..

I think the environmental refer to the macrocosm ..
the forest ..the entire scenery...that triggers...
like me at work...
I go to the urinal...I leave office but the office environment is having an effect.

I will ask these detailed questions and next time and get the correct answer for you
I am Not sure if my understanding is entirely correct the basic theme is to consider the all the factors...including factors out of the restroom .

I think at my level of recovery...I have low levels of urinal induced anxiety......so the other sources of anxiety trump the urinal...
and is significant.

Someone starting out and recovery work may have anxiety levels of 90 from saddling up and the other anxiety is less significant at the urinal.
peeing is easy

DaveA

Post by DaveA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:10 am

Thanks William,
Your explanation of the terms sounds logical to me.

william

Post by william » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 am

those starting out in recovery work may have urinal based anxiety as the dominant ...primary trigger and work anxiety may not be significant...factor.....

others may not have high levels of work related anxiety...

when I started recovery work...my dominant anxiety was the urinal and not work.....but due to decrease...in urinal..

the work anxiety playing a larger role now...

If you have an easy job then I would not worry about work induced anxiety.
peeing is easy

DaveA

Post by DaveA » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:07 am

William,
Google "comorbidity".
Back in 2006 we had several discussions on it over at the IPA forums.

My personal "comorbidity" is social anxiety.
This past Saturday I was waiting for my order to be prepared at a food place.

It took about 25 minutes and after the first ten minutes I had an almost overwhelming urge to just leave. For the next 15 minutes I was pretty flooded with anxiety. To many people, to much commotion.

Work isn't fun, that's why they have to pay us to do it.
It's stressful, that's why it's work.

So in my case, add social anxiety to work anxiety and exactly like you described, I'm nearly over the edge before I even have an urge to visit the restroom.

Lexapro has reduced my social anxiety to manageable levels.
In what happened to me last Saturday, I WOULD have had to leave the place if it wasn't for Lexapro.

I like my Lexapro dosage to be low enough so that I have and can handle the anxiety I experience.
That gives me the ability to desensitize to it, to the small degree that's possible.

Life without anxiety is called...death.
Prior to that, anxiety is a normal part of life that we need to be able to have and deal with.

We aren't looking to NOT have anxiety, we're looking to be able to have it without it ruling or controlling our lives.

william

Post by william » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:15 pm

I guess we are striving for an appropriate response to anxiety..

many times our response is overdone due to conditioning.

I would say my response is usually overdone 90% of the time.

so it seems true that paruretic s. are not low anxiety response type of people. we have at least an avg or higher than avg intolerance to anxiety.

well according to the therapist...
peeing is easy